Are you a driven individual who has a passion for providing exceptional meals for large groups of people? We believe breakfast, lunch and dinner should be healthy, delicious, and fun. And, as our Cook / Dietary Aide, you get to play the most important role in ensuring that is the case. Alaska Gardens Health and Rehabilitation Center is currently seeking a Cook / Dietary Aide to join our dietary department. We are seeking a team-oriented individual who takes pride in their work and has a passion for helping others! Our enhanced dining program provides culinary excellence and tasty, appealing and nutritious foods to the residence we serve. Essential Functions (Cook):
- Prepare pre-planned cycle menus in an efficient and effective manner to provide nutritious, good tasting, and appetizing food for residents.
- Perform food preparation tasks as assigned.
- Prepares food and serves trays as attractively as possible.
- Determine if the food prepared is of the highest possible quality in taste and flavor. Assist in planning cooking schedules for cooks/helpers and dietary aides. Confirm foods are ready on time for tray service.
- Maintain and improve standards of food storage, preparation, and services. Assist supervisor as needed in the receiving and storing of food and supplies.
- Assist in checking food supplies on food order forms as they arrive from vendors. Maintain orderly and correct storage of food items; dry, freezer, and refrigerator storage.
- Check out food and supplies as needed by dietary aides.
Essential Functions (Dietary Aide):
- Reads production orders on tray cards to determine items to place on tray.
- Places items, such as eating utensils, napkins, straws, condiments, and tray cards on trays.
- Performs food preparation tasks as assigned.
- Pours juices and beverages (coffee, tea, milk, cocoa) and serves on tray at correct temperature, neatly, and in amounts called for at the proper time.
- Serve assigned food on trays at proper time, attractively, and at correct temperature. May help with food preparation.
- Pushes carts to halls or kitchen.
- Washes dishes and cleans work area, tables, and cabinets:
- Sends dishes through dish machine.
- Maintains cleanliness and orderliness of dish machine or area.
- Empties trash cans daily and cleans them thoroughly. Replaces liners and returns cans to stations.
Knowledge, Skills, and Education:
- Demonstrated knowledge of high standards of food preparation, sanitation, hygienic methods of food preparation and storage
- Previous experience preparing food in an institutional setting preferred. Interpersonal skills necessary to establish effective relationships with department workers, supervisors, and with other departments.
- Exercise sound judgment, make decisions on a daily basis, and occasionally supervise and direct the work of others.
- Demonstrates basic understanding of supervisory and management principles.
- Demonstrates competency in operating kitchen equipment.
- Moderate to heavy lifting (50 pound maximum), bending, reaching, and stooping.
- Knowledge of high standards of food service sanitation and safety at a level normally acquired through on-the-job training.
- Requires maintaining high standards of personal hygiene while working, including frequent hand washing and securing hair away from the face.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to establish effective relationships with department workers and with other departments.
- Ability to read, write, and follow English oral and written directions and pay close attention to details when setting up trays, using portion control and sanitizing dishes and equipment.
- Skill and ability to learn to operate kitchen equipment.
- High school graduation or GED highly desirable.
- Prior cooking experience in a skilled nursing environment is preferred
Benefits (Full Time):
- Comprehensive Medical/Dental/Vision Plan
- Paid Sick Leave, Vacation, & Holidays
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Life, Accident, & Disability Insurance
- Wellness Program
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Hardship Fund
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Long-Term Service Recognition
- Training & Educational Assistance
Alaska Gardens Health and Rehabilitation Center 6220 S Alaska Street Tacoma, WA, 98408 We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.