Department: Business Services
Title: Sous Chef
Location: The Bronx Zoo
Employment Type: Full-Time
Reports To: Executive Chef
Position Summary: Assist the Executive Chef in the planning, preparation, and execution of menus for all aspects of our food service. Maintain superior standards with the following: food quality, cost control, part-time labor, timeliness of service, kitchen cleanliness and equipment maintenance.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist Executive Chef with menu planning, food purchasing, food transportation, food preparation (quality and portion control) and event execution
• Interview, select, train, schedule, coach and support associates, ensuring they perform in accordance with established standards and norms.
• Train, develop and evaluate staff with regard to proper use of standard kitchen equipment and tools, techniques and skills, to include the methods of cooking, garnishes, and portion sizing.
• Manage food and supply inventories
• Assist with updating costs for recipes and maintain menu database
• Maintain food safety standards in accordance with the NYC Department of Health’s requirements, as well as internal Compliance Manager’s standards and requirements
• Assist with controlling and maintaining the lowest possible COGS, part-time payroll, waste, and breakage
• Follow sustainability guidelines and practices
• Communicate openly with all team members, allowing for no details to be missed
• Perform additional responsibilities as directed by Executive Chef
• Perform other duties as requested by management.
• 3 years’ experience in a managerial position of a high-volume food service establishment preferred.
• Culinary Degree or certification from an accredited culinary program preferred.
• Proficient with Microsoft Office
• Experience with Caterease and SAP desired
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal required
• Strong leadership, excellent interpersonal skills, and problem-solving abilities
• Ability to work days, nights and weekends; when required
• Valid driver’s license
• Requires standing for extended periods, walking, pushing, lifting up to 50 pounds, bending and reaching, using fingers and hands, stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Job ID: 266887574