Job ID: 114400805
1 - 3 years
Dessert chef needed at one of Montana's oldest family-owned and operated guest ranches. We are located about an hour east of Missoula on the Blackfoot River. We are fortunate to enjoy beautiful landscapes and exceptional people – both guests and employees. For over 90 years we've offered a rustic experience to our guests featuring fabulous horseback riding and excellent food. We cater to a small, affluent group of guests. Most days the kitchen will serve between 50-100 people with most guests staying for at least a week.
Our dessert chef is responsible for exceeding the expectations of our guests. Guest satisfaction in our dining room revolves around the high quality taste and appearance of the food, and the overall dining experience. Our dessert chef is a motivated, organized, self-starter who prepares a variety of scratch-made desserts including pastries, ice-creams, mousses, cookies, cakes, fruit creations, frostings, glazes, and sauces. Our dessert chef generally works an 8-hour shift and is supported by 4-5 waitstaff. The dessert chef also works closely with the executive chef, sous chef and breakfast cook. The term of employment is summer seasonal and would run approximately from May 15th through September 30th. Six days on, 1 day off, with housing, meals, and staff privileges included. Competitive wage depending on experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Exhibit a friendly, professional and pro-teamwork positive attitude and a can-do work ethic.
- Is precise, detail oriented, and very organized.
- Maintain consistent and high quality preparation and presentation of food.
- Provide food to guests and staff in a timely, professional, and friendly manner.
- Practice excellent safety, sanitation, and organizational skills.
- Assist in setting up guest and staff dining rooms for service.
- Observe proper cleaning procedures and maintain clean, sanitary, and orderly service, cooking and storage areas.
- Adhere to state and local health and sanitation guidelines.
- Arrive to work on time and able to perform required duties and responsibilities.
Other Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist in maintaining a clean and orderly public area.
- Interact with guests and facilitate guest enjoyment when away from the kitchen (i.e., at the campfire, at the softball field, etc.).
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Creativity and passion for dessert.
- Knowledge of proper food handling procedures such as food labeling, rotation and storage of food, sanitation, heating and cooling of foods.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions.
- Excellent baking skills.
- Experience with cold and frozen desserts.
- Exceptional customer service and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain friendly, professional, and helpful attitude towards guests and fellow employees.
- Ability to work well under pressure in high stress situations.
- Dependable and able to work shifts as dictated by business levels.
- Ability and willingness to be a team player and assist other staff members.
- Knowledge of how to properly use and maintain all food and beverage equipment in the kitchen.
- Knowledge of proper cleaning procedures.
- Ability to receive and execute instructions, and improve with feedback.
- Ability to solve problems and conflict in a friendly, professional and helpful manner.
- Knowledge of or willingness and ability to learn bread production preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Culinary degree and/or 3 years experience in a professional kitchen.
- Familiarity and experience with kitchen and food and beverage equipment.
- Primarily indoors working in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment.
- Some outdoor work may be required for special outdoor events, in a mountain environment with variable weather conditions.
- Must be able to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and carry thirty pounds or more.
- Must be able to work in hot kitchen temperatures.
Note: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the position.